Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Importance of Inspiration

As a therapist there is a lot taught, read, and discussed about self disclosure. Some scholars/experts will say that a therapist should have no self disclosure—that there is no space in therapy for the therapist to reveal or share anything personal. Other people disagree and share that self disclosure is natural and helps others to trust you and to do their own disclosure.

When I was in Grad School I remember having a long discussion about what you should and shouldn't put up in your office. Was it okay to put up personal pictures, your diplomas, or things you are passionate about??

When I got my own office I was faced with these questions again. I struggled to decorate my office. In the end I decided that I would surround myself with words (I do so love words) of inspiration. One of my favorite quotes, that I feel particular to as a therapist, is on the header of this blog,

I had become a new person: and those who knew the old person laughed at me. The only man who behaved sensibly was my tailor: he took my measure anew every time he saw me. Whilst all the rest went in with their old measurements and expected them to fit me. (George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950, Man and Superman, 1903) 
I love that quote for so many reasons but mostly because of the idea of new beginnings. People are fluid, always learning, changing, growing. If we expect or hold people to who they used to be we will always miss out on what they are becoming or who they currently are. I believe passionately in new beginnings and letting everyone tell their own story!


No comments:

Post a Comment