Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sacred Ground

As a family therapist I get to be privy to intimate moments forged out of crisis and witness poison spilling out of eyes and wringing hands. It is a beautiful mess. I often wonder what people in my life think I do every day. I also think that it might seem strange that I absolutely love my job. There is something so amazing about these beautiful disastrous moments.

The Crying Couch
In my office there is the most comfortable couch and it is very deep. In fact if I sit all the way back in the couch my feet barely hang off the end of the couch. It's about 5'5" long (my height) and well, let's just say I tell anyone who sits on it, "Just don't fall asleep" (some have just about).

Like dashboard confessionals this couch is where many clients shed many tears, speak of unspeakable things, trust someone they just met with their deepest darkest secrets, explode in anger. Some writhe in frustration, ask pleading unanswerable questions, and try to breath in hope like it's being pumped into my office.

The Blanket Stepping
A Blanket Stepping is very personal and unique to ANASAZI. This is formal ceremony where people are asked to leave 2 kinds of things on the old blanket. The first things they are asked to leave are physical things that are holding them back from walking forward. The second things they are asked to leave behind are invisible things of the heart.

It never fails to amaze me that people who have only met me and talked with me for about 1 hour trust the process (and me) enough to leave things on the old blanket that they do. Sometimes, for the first time they leave things behind they have never shared before. Sometimes, with their spouse next to them, they reveal pain they haven't been able to in the past. These brave & broken souls understand that in order to walk forward they need to leave their burdens behind.

The Letters
At ANASAZI I get to be a mailman every Tuesday delivering and receiving letters. I also get the privilege of reading letters from parents to their children and from children to their parents.

I am not a big crier. I'm not a touch nut to crack either but, as a therapist, you have to be able to regulate your emotions. In the process of reading letters over 6 weeks I get to read the evolution of hearts. Sometimes, while reading letters in my office, on the drive out to the Tonto, I can't help but let the tears flow. To me these are what love letters are all about.

Although these are just 3 of the times I feel I am on sacred ground over and over at my job I couldn't help but share them. Tonight I am overwhelmed with gratitude of the shared moments God has allowed me.

To all my families who have cried and confessed on my couch, unburden your hearts in blanket steppings, and allowed me to be privy to your love letters— I love and adore you!

Radiant Fire Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment